Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. Martin Luther King....

 Today marks a holiday that most students look forward to for an extra day off but do we really take the time to what it cost to get this holiday. So many people have died for us to have the freedom that we take for granted each day. Dr. Martin Luther King was one of the few pioneers in the civil rights movement to break through the strongholds of what was thought to be modern day thinking in the south years ago. I am very thankful for those who have gone before us so that we can sit in a restaurant with our spouse of another color and not have our children harassed because they don't "match". You see this also marks another milestone in my life because last year to the day my son took his first steps. Now as I type he is running through out the house and terrorizing his siblings :). I look at my family and I thank God so much for what he has done. You see, my husband is white and I am black. We have a set of twins that well....one is white and one is black. Ever since they were born I was afraid that they would be treated differently because of the "color of their skin". Yet their character speaks louder than the pigmentation that is their mirror reflection. I love them! I love the way they look at each other as brother and sister and nothing else. As adults can we do the same?



No comments:

Post a Comment